Free School Meals
What are the eligibility criteria for free school meals?
Children whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals in maintained schools in Wales:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit
- Young people who receive Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive Free School Meals.
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way is to apply online www.caerphilly.gov.uk
Alternatively you can apply by post using a paper application form. These are available from your school, by contacting the Free School Meal Team, or by downloading the form below: